Wednesday, November 11, 2009

DIY OR MY ODE TO DRIVING GLOVES


Once, when I was eating dinner in Rome (in 2004), I spotted a very beautiful Spanish woman wearing a floral dress and fingerless driving gloves. Ever since, I have had a serious crush on driving gloves of all varieties. Upon returning to Madrid (where I was living at the time), I found an amazing pair of driving gloves at the ubiquitous El Corte Inglés. Fast forward; I lost those gloves I loved so much a couple years later after the Rockfeller Center tree lighting.

A new pair of driving gloves subsequently made their way into my life, they were a gift. They didn't fully compare to my OG jumpoffs, but they were a good enough substitute. I wore them endlessly for about two years; I repaired them and sewed them more than once when the seams on the fingers began to unravel. Then, October of this year hit hard and I needed something sturdier, better. I found a solid pair of lined driving gloves that are ideal for winter at Club Monaco. But I wasn't ready to part ways with the broken-in pair I toted around since that unfortunate night at the tree lighting.

The other night before heading out (in typical fashion), I decided to cut the fingers off my old pair of gloves. Now I have fingerless driving gloves, too. They look just like that lady's who inspired me that one night in Rome.

And if you don't know, now you know.

1 comment:

M E L I $ $ A said...

thank you! i just bought it for only $25!